Friday, December 22, 2017

I have been having a bit of an epiphany these last weeks.  I discovered that I am a multipotentialite.  Watch this TED talk for an in depth description. https://www.ted.com/talks/emilie_wapnick_why_some_of_us_don_t_have_one_true_calling.
I also joined The Infinite Receivers group on FaceBook.  Since then, I have been receiving all kinds of inspiration, energy, funds, and clients.

I also have been open to more connections between genealogy and my other passions.  I am working with a client with Scandanavian ancestry, and in comes a wonderful magazine I get Piecework.  Its a neddlecraft magazine that covers antique pieces like socks, and includes how to knit, embroider, or crochet them today.  The most recent edition is about socks.  It gave examples of hand-knitted socks from various centuries and countries, including Ludders.  These are "snow socks" from Norway.   They were used throughout most of Norway, except where the temperatures fluctuate more and allow for wetter snow.  Ludders are knitted socks with a sewn in sole and upper part of the shoe.  These are a traditional element that was most likely brought here to the US by his Norwegian ancestors.  I am hoping to make a pair for him along with his genealogy package.  This is what I love about my vocation.  I can bring a bit of my different disciplines into a family history and expand their understanding of their family or remind them of long-lost warm memories of home and family. 
Please look at a variety of different disciplines when researching your family.  Check with fiber people (knitters, crocheters, embroiderers, etc), blacksmiths, carpenters, farmers etc. to learn more about how things may have been done in your ancestor's times.  Visit historical sites that are contemporary with your ancestors and feel free to ask the docents or recreators if the skills or items they are using or displaying are widespread or something that is local.  Ask questions as if you were a child.  Children aren't afraid to ask questions.  They are curious and don't have the inhibitions we do.  The answers you get will allow your understanding of your ancestors to grow and be more complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment